Friday, July 29, 2011

♪ Make Me An Angel ♫

...that flies from Montgomery...

I always loved that song.  It was literally the only reason I wanted to stop in Montgomery, Alabama.  I guess I thought I'd see Bonnie Raitt, and posters of old rodeos, etc.  In my ten-year-old mind, Montgomery looked something like the back woods around Albany.  It doesn't look like that in real life:





After the disappointment of yesterday's rest stop, Charlotte, NC (it sounds like a quaint little city) - I wanted something nice to come out of Montgomery.  I was looking for Oakwood Cemetery, and had to circle it three times before finding the entrance.  But I did!  It was worth the trouble.  Check it out:













The Toyota and I took a rest here in the shade, among the Civil War heroes....oh crap, I mean the War of Northern Aggression.  It was comforting to have Florida plates down here, because I could quite possibly be not-too-far-from-home.  I pretended I was from Pensacola, "just up visiting some relatives for the day!"  I even drove slow (for a New Yorker, which isn't that slow at all), and put away the Yankee hat.

What, you think I'm paranoid?  Watch this clip from the Top Gear US Special: Challenge "Alabama".  It will all become clear.

~A

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you has the foresight to leave your NY plates at home. That was the smart choice.

Anonymous said...

Guse

Anonymous said...

This is a video I made of "my poppy" as Bania says. I've been showing everyone at work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBwqCrBHuWE&feature=player_embedded

abby harmony said...

Hi Guse! Nice video, LOL