Friday, July 8, 2011

We're Not in Kansas Anymore...and Thank God, because Kansas is Boring


On Sunday, April 17th, I went to the gym to work off a few souvenir pounds from Florida, on my favorite thing in the world - the elliptical machine.  As if moving your ass up and down for 30 minutes wasn't pleasure enough, they attach little TVs to the equipment.  I saw something on the news this particular morning that got my heart pumping.

A tornado had ripped into Wake County, North Carolina the day before, where my cousin's family lives (in Raleigh).  After seeing a death toll, I called to make sure everyone had their fingers and toes, and a roof.  My cousin, his wife, their toddler, and their poodle had all crawled into the bathtub and were all unharmed, however, the tree out front didn't make it:

 


Other people in their neighborhood weren't as lucky.  Here are some pictures I took while in town, two months later:








 A house around the corner was leveled.  I heard they were not home that day, luckily.





Tornadoes are kind of...well, arbitrary, aren't they?  One house is destroyed, and another across the street is untouched.  While full of gratitude that my family was in the "lucky ones" category, I cannot help but mention the unfairness.  Some people lost a home, or worse - some families lost members. 

It seems that Mother Nature doesn't really care about us on a personal basis.  We're all just Ants Marching, to her.  Is it "God's Plan" (*bows head to Kansas*)...or is it just chaos?  While we contemplate this question, our meters continue to run out.  Have a nice day!

~A

P.S.  No offense to Kansans, but honestly, seven hours of crops and Jesus signs?  I will never get that day back.  Don't laugh, Missouri, you were no better.

No comments: