Sunday, July 10, 2011

Southern Fried Hangover

I was planning on an early night the first one in Raleigh, I really was.  But there was some serious catching up to do with my closest cousin, and after like four of these:
...which consisted of blueberry juice, rum, and diet something-or-other...
well, all I remember is walking around the neighborhood, as the sun came up.

Then walking around it again, by myself, looking for a cell phone I had somehow zippered into my own suitcase.


After "sleeping", John drove us to a heaven-sent drive thru called "Bojangles", and a delicious creation was stuffed into my hands:  Chicken-Egg-and-Cheese on a biscuit.


Can we just talk about this, for a minute?  I have never, ever seen this breakfast sandwich in the North - and we do breakfast, alright.  We do something called a "heart attack sandwich" consisting of three types of meat stuffed into a roll (with scrambled egg and cheese, to balance things out).  Well, they do that in Fishkill, NY, at least, and I have seen brave co-workers eating it in the A.M. 


But this was a glorious breakfast, truly a "Breakfast of Champions"...champions who like to drink until the wee hours of the morning, that is.  They don't have these type of flaky, light, buttery biscuits at McDonalds.  And you can't get this fried chicken at KFC, that is for darn sure.  How do they get fried chicken so delicious down here?  And how do the biscuits come out so.....perfect?

Anyways, the chicken-egg-n-cheese did the trick; it made me drink lots of water, pass out again, and wake up sober.  We took an afternoon hike, as a matter of fact:

...during which I somehow managed to pull a muscle in my arm that lasted for the next four weeks.  Yeah, I know, it was a bad 24 hours.

But then, everything turned around.  We drove to this place and got these things:

Fried pickles!  With ranch dip...OMG they were delicious!  Here are some cute pics of the baby eating fried pickles, which she was decidedly, well, undecided about:
(my favorite)


In an attempt to eat a balanced meal in North Carolina (ahahahaha)...I had a veggie wrap for dinner, which was actually quite delicious.


Oh, and some of John's cheese fries.  

Have I mentioned how much North Carolina rocks?  It does, Raleigh-eating totally rocks the socks off of Poughkeepsie, NY.  Stay tuned for some Wilmington adventures!  Ghost hunting and good eating, alike :)

~A

No comments: