Friday, October 21, 2011

Baton Rouge, or the Unplanned Detour

I left New Orleans in a similar manner to the way I arrived; during the night, and in a state of confusion.  After having what can now be looked back on as a stupid fight with B (and, I might add, missing her famous jambalaya), I packed up and drove off at approximately 4am, a day earlier than expected.  




Then more stupidity ensued, in thinking the 6 hour drive to Shreveport (next stop on the itinerary) would be no problem whatsoever - having been awake a mere 22 hours.  I made it 40 min passed Baton Rouge, then phoned a friend in New York (who was surely ecstatic to get the call), asking that this person hold off on work to a) find me a hotel and b) find me a cheaper hotel.  




Then I stopped in some dark nameless Louisiana town to get gasoline and try not to get murdered.  I called the cheaper hotel to ask that they a) book me a room with a AAA discount and b) let me check in at 6am, as opposed to the usual 4pm.  Out of unreasonable demands for the day, I backtracked to Baton Rouge, thus making a crucial change in the itinerary.  But these are little surprises that make living memorable.




Baton Rouge....what can I say about it?  Nothing relevant!  I saw the inside of a hotel for 29 hours, going out only for a pickup of water and Papa John's.  It was such a glorious detour though.  There's something about being completely alone in the anonymity of a random hotel, in a random place...it reminds you of how self-sustaining one is, that "security" in the form of things, people and places is a facade.  Do you know what I mean, who your best friend is truly?




I look back on my stay in Baton Rouge as a lovely, unplanned respite.  Also, the beginning of a Best Western Belgium Waffle tradition that would be so over by Ohio.




Have a great weekend, people...


~A

3 comments:

N-Somniack said...

Wow, this blog is really awesome (If I had a blog it would probably be pretty lame XD). It's Gary, the guy from the vet. I subscribed to 'Spooks'n'food'. Keep writing, the blog's really fun :D

abby harmony said...

Hi Gary, thanks for the comment!

N-Somniack said...

Anytime! :D YOu said you were taking Creative Writing, right? Well if you ever wanna send me anything you write I wouldn't mind taking a look at it, and vice versa :D majickdemoniack@gmail.com and keep up the good work with the blog :D