Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Who's There?

Sorry for the hiatus, readers...it's called taking 17 credits at New Paltz, and there's no promising it won't happen again.  I've been busy reading about how as a woman, I inherently suck, according to British literature prior to the 21st century.  Gosh, can't wait for Shakespeare.  But without much further ado (about nothing), let us get back to the story at hand:  Adventures in New Orleans.




One night, we attended a ghost tour, courtesy of Bloody Mary.  If I was lazy, I would just put up a link to my Trip Advisor review and call it a day.  So, read it.


Some creepy things, incidentally, happened prior to this tour.  For one, I was staying in "the Creepy room" at my friend's house - named for the previous owner's Gothic decorating fetish.  Secondly, Beth lives right down the street from an old public cemetery. When she first moved in, there would be a knock on the door every day at 3pm.  She would go to the door, and no one would be there.  One particularly humid day, she heard the knock, and upon going to the door could actually see a hand mark in the condensation.  




Having some previous experience in living side-by-side with a New Orleans ghost, Beth wasn't going there again, and told the "knocker" that whoever they were looking for wasn't here, please don't come again.  It hasn't.




Finally, we experienced a strange incident on the second day.  After smelling a mysterious gas on and off outside, my friend left a note taped inside the locked door for pet-rescue (to be cautious) and we went out to the French Quarter.  




When we returned, the door was still locked - but the note was missing.   Upon further inspection, it was there, but sitting on a chair next to the window - and I watched her tape it to the door.  


Then we discovered Beth's main AC was turned off, and this is something that is never done from May to October.  She kept asking me, "Did you turn it off?  Are you sure you didn't turn it off?"  We checked to see if the power had gone out, but it was actually in the off position.  


Finally, I went into the Creepy room.  The AC was still running in there, but the closet door was wide open.  I'd never touched the closet, previously.  I closed it, and pulled it to see if it was loose and could have opened on it's own, but it was a very tight fit.  




Did the knocker come back to call?


~A

No comments: