Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Storm

Happy Hump Day!  I'm going to depress you mid-week with the knowledge that New Orleans has never fully recovered from Hurricane Katrina.  Some of you, and by "you" I might mean my Human Resource class adjunct at Marist, have been saying "it was a storm, it wasn't racial, get over it."  Well, don't be a bigot.
Beth obligingly drove me around the Bywater (her old neighborhood) and the Ninth Ward until I was about to pass out from dehydration - literally - and told me all she could, from an educated viewpoint/experience, about The Storm.


There are more educated and more qualified people that have tried to explain all the failings that went into this disaster, so I'm not going there.  Needless to say, it's an experience driving around a neighborhood years later, seeing flood marks, the infamous X's still on the houses, old foundations.  




...B's friend (above) did something to help.


Things that stood out for me:

  • Accounts of the Superdome...or in other words, "hell on Earth"
  • Descriptions of the flood's force into homes
  • "Katrina-Crazy" as a cute term used to describe a serious disorder
  • Rotting food in refrigerators
  • The descent into a survival-culture that happened as New Orleans waited for help that didn't arrive, and what ramifications that has had on it's society.


Also...how my friend watches the rising Mississippi and worries about the disctricts that will be evacuated.  


~A

P.S. This is a haunted house.
Awe-Some!

No comments: